Circa around the year 1250, there was already a Blumenthal castle, but because of constant disputes with the people of Bremen, the castle had to be torn down in 1305.
A few decades later, in the year 1354, the current castle was built between Aue and Beke.
Historians assume the the village of Blumenthal emerged through the selling of lands. From 1436 Blumenthal belonged to Bremen, later became Swedish, then came under Danish rule and came finally with Bremen to the Royal House of Hanover. Through the Stade settlement from 1741, Bremen had to cede the affiliation of the village entirely to Hanover
Then the French came, and in 1866, the Prussians. In 1884, Haus Blomendal (Blomendal House) became the first Prussian district administration, in 1939 Blumenthal became in the course of the territorial reform again part of Bremen.
Just like the ringing of the church tower bell from the sunken city of Vineta or the ghosts at Eltz Castle, the robber barons returned to the castle every two years to see what has happened and – to celebrate a festival with their subjects, no matter where they come from, no matter what their origin or status – the castle festival.
This tradition was revived and, in this year (2001) already the tenth Castle Festival is celebrated. People flock through the Blumenthal streets with music and dancing towards the castle courtyard. There will be two days of extensive celebrations. Among other things, ‚De Blomendaler‘ perform the weavers’ dance-, traceable to the year 1830.
It goes without saying that wealthy guests of honour are chosen for the occasion, because a lot of money is needed to maintain the castle.
Finally, it should be mentioned that in 1983 the then Bremen mayor Hans Koschnick was made the first knight of the Blumenthal modernity.
Henning Scherf had also the pleasure to be made a knight in 1997.
Quelle: Rainer Steinbach